Hyprop's governance framework is robust and aligned with best practice for sustainable value creation
The board of directors
Hyprop's board is focused on creating long-term value for stakeholders through integrated thinking that supports:
- Quality real estate investments that generate long-term capital and income growth
- Investing in green environmental technology (solar power and water savings)
- Employee and local community development programmes
- A sound and robust funding and capital structure that supports a strong balance sheet and long-term capital and income growth for the company.
The board promotes an inclusive approach to corporate governance, ensuring that no single director has unfettered power of decision making. Directors have diverse skills and experience to ensure robust debate that leads to informed decisions.
We summarise the values and standards that guide our board and align our company to the recommendations of King IV.
For further reading view the board charter.
In line with its charter, the board is the guardian of group values and ethics, and leads by example. It ensures that Hyprop's strategy is aligned to its corporate values, while considering our impact on the economy, society, stakeholders and the environment. Directors remain informed on applicable legislation, codes and standards to effectively discharge their duties.
As a responsible corporate citizen, Hyprop operates its business with tomorrow in mind. The board therefore considers financial performance in the context of Hyprop's broader impact on the environment in which it operates:
- Ensuring that its actions and interactions with stakeholders are guided by the South African constitution and Bill of Rights
- Ensuring that it operates ethically as a good corporate citizen.
In promoting transparent disclosure, the board monitors:
- Balanced reporting to stakeholders via the integrated report and other public disclosures on its website
- Continued independence from any business or third parties with which Hyprop has contractual relationships
- Legitimate dealings in Hyprop shares by employee shareholders in compliance with the Financial Markets Act 2012, South African Securities Services Act 2004 and JSE Listings Requirements.